Friday, June 20, 2014

another type of ride

Searching for something interesting to use with my intermediate ESL class on Thursday, I cam across this article about a cowboy who rode horseback from Calgary to Brazil in time for the World Cup. The ride took two years, and he says it is the hardest but most gratifying thing he has ever done.

To introduce the story, I showed the video and let the students share what they understood. We then read a slightly adapted version of the print story. The students loved it, and it was a perfect way to get a new angle on the World Cup, with a Canadian tie-in. 

I love to use news stories that focus on people doing good things, interesting things, challenging and amazing things. So much news is depressing or horrifying. Sometimes it's necessary to cover those stories, but what a great change to feature someone who faces a formidable challenge and succeeds, inspiring others -- such as my English learners -- to pursue their dreams.

No comments: