Friday, June 20, 2014

a week of commuting variety

This past week variety was the word for my commute. 
 wind - rain - gravel - new hill - cold - warm

In spite of the fact that on Sunday the forecast was for a hot sunny week, the weather was cool and cloudy right from the start. I was pretty excited to try the newly discovered route out of the River Valley, so on Monday instead of riding all the way to Fortway Drive, I crossed the street at what I thought was the right spot and rode into the woods. Up and around went the trail, quite steep in places. I was the only person around, and I was not completely sure I was on the right track, but sure enough, when I reached the top I found myself in Ezio Faraone Park, just a short way from the Railtown bike path. Easy-peasy and so much safer than riding on the downtown streets.

On Tuesday, I had to pick up something at the Whitemud Crossing library, so I parked my car near our rental house and rode on the 106 Street bike lane. Why there is so much gravel on that route is beyond me. I wish I could believe the gravel is there in preparation for road work -- as in filling the multitudinous potholes that line that street. But, alas, try as I might, I can't convince myself that this is the case.

 The reason for the gravel must be one of those mysteries that defy even super sleuths like Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot. To add to the mystery, I noticed that in one spot, it looked as if someone had swept away the gravel in order to expose the bike lane symbol painted on the road.
On Wednesday I forgot my helmet. I own three helmets, one of which is supposed to stay in the car at all times, just in case I forget to bring my preferred one. But Son #4 had borrowed the van to move some furniture and apparently neglected to put the helmet back in when he was finished. So I had to ride bareheaded. I opted to ride on the city streets, since it is easier to keep a slower speed. I also thought this would be a chance to test the theory that says that motorists are more forgiving of women cyclists who don't wear helmets. The results were spectacularly inconclusive, as I have never found that motorists treat me badly even when I wear my helmet. On the 102 Avenue metal bridge, I did meet up with a friendly fellow commuter as we waited for the light to turn green, so we had a nice little chat. That's always a nice way to start the day. I rode home through the River Valley, since I wasn't in the mood to face the traffic and potholes on Stony Plain Road between 142 Street and 149 Street.

And on Thursday -- r-a-i-n! I don't really mind the rain, and at 14 C, it was quite warm. But I forgot to put my shoes in my pannier, so had to go through the day wearing my Merrell's water sandals. Oh well, I never claimed to be a posh dresser. I rode to work through the River Valley, using the new trail. It is a pretty steep climb, and the sharp turns take some getting used to, but another time or two on it should help me feel more confident. For the ride back, I took the city streets, as it was pouring and I figured the shorter the better. 

Although I don't mind riding in almost any type of weather, I have to admit I am looking forward to some really warm weather -- maybe next week? One can hope!

No comments: