Wednesday, February 5, 2014

-25 C and below

This week the wind chill has been -25 or lower every day. Each morning after looking at the weather report, I briefly considered not riding my bike, but each afternoon I arrived back at the car happy that I rode!

In the mornings I head east and the wind is barely noticeable. I've worn my big bulky winter boots the last three days and although they are not the most comfortable cycling footwear, they are warm. On my hands, I wear wool gloves inside the good old Olympic mittens. My hands are fine. As for the rest of me, three merino wool layers and my L.L. Bean riding coat do the trick. Of course three scarves help, too! 

Today when I saw that the windchill was -34, I decided to park in Crestwood, thus reducing my riding distance from 7.5 to 5 kilometers. Maybe that was a good thing, but after work, when I crossed the pedestrian bridge and realized that I didn't have to ride any farther, I was kind of sad.

There is no doubt that it is cold outside, but riding is still a pleasure, and it is such a satisfying feeling to know I didn't let a little bit of windchill stop me from using my favourite method to get to work. 

And today I saw two other cyclists. 

No comments: