Friday, January 31, 2014

Yes, Virginia, there is a bike lane on 106 Street

In December I agreed to take part in a City of Edmonton survey about the 106 Street bike lanes. I ride on 106 Street between 51 Avenue and Saskatchewan Drive once or twice a month. Unlike some curmudgeonly types, I like the bike lanes. They are not perfectly designed, true. There are some awkward spots along this route, such as the drop-off points for schools and daycare and the Whyte Avenue crossing. But on the whole, the ride is fast and easy and comfortable.

Because I was off for Christmas until the 13th, I didn't end up using 106 Street to commute to work in January. So I actually made a special trip into the city to cycle there. I had some errands to do: Hubby needed some computer parts and I had to return something to The Bay, so I rolled everything into one.

I have to say, if I didn't already know there was a bike lane on this street, I would never have guessed. Of course, there are lots of signs to that effect.

They look like this:
Bike Lane Street Sign
But I rode and rode all the way to Saskatchewan Drive without so much as a glimpse of a bike lane. I turned around and started back, but still no bike lane.

 snow, snow, and more snow where bike lane ought to be...

However, as I continued south, I finally saw this:

Not an actual bike lane, true. But this barely discernible marking on  the pavement indicates that a bike lane is on the horizon and that cyclists who wish to ride in the bike lane should move right. 

And a little farther along, here it is, the bike lane itself. 
Sort of.  


So, you see, Virginia, 
there is indubitably a bike lane on 106 Street.

Winter maintenance is another story. Even this small stretch of seemingly cleared lane is only by accident -- it turns out that at this particular spot on the road, cars drive in the bike lane and have created a snow-free zone. It has nothing to do with the city's snow removal efforts. 

The irony is that it doesn't matter all that much. The traffic lanes are bare and dry, so riding is easy and the ubiquitous bike lane signs assure me that drivers have no reason to complain about a cyclist riding there. As always along this route, it was a pleasant, fast and comfortable ride, bike lane or no bike lane. 

No comments: