Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Today is warm.

When I asked my students to make some sentences about the weather, two of them -- both from tropical countries -- came up with, "Today is warm." 

Well, I may be a hardy born and bred Canadian, but in my books, minus 18 with wind chill of minus 27 does not count as warm. After some consultation with other class members, the students agreed that "Today is warmer than yesterday" might be more accurate.


Weather sentences are also a good chance to practice "supposed to," as in "Tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer." We were all happy to use that sentence.

I didn't ride my bike on Tuesday; I took the bus because Hubby had to come into the city to get some computer parts from his downtown supplier. He suggested that we could meet after work and go out for dinner. The bus was fast and not crowded, so I had no complaints, but as I walked the 4 blocks from the bus stop to work I saw 4 cyclists and felt quite jealous! 

Today I rode. When I left home the wind chill was -30 so I parked in Crestwood again. The first part of my ride was a little cool, but by the time I reached the 116 Street intersection, I was quite comfy. 

Because of the snow and ice on the side of the road on 102 Avenue, I've been using the sidewalk, and today I rode in the tire tracks of a fat bike. The snow had drifted to a depth of about 10 cm in places, so I was thankful that rider had gone before me. As superfluous as fat bikes might seem a lot of the time, it is obvious they have their uses!

After work I considered riding through the river valley, but there was a bit of a wind and my face felt cold, so I chickened out and took the streets, riding on the Railtown Trail to 102 Avenue. Looks like tomorrow will be warmer, though, so I plan to ride the River Valley to and from work. I also plan to park in my normal spot near 165 Street. Spring is coming!

No comments: