Friday, February 21, 2014

two out of three ain't bad

It was a three-day week for me, thanks to Family Day. I rode my bike on Tuesday and Thursday, but on Wednesday I got up and looked out on about 10 cm of fresh snow. A quick glance at the #yegtraffic on Twitter was enough to convince me to take the bus into the city. 

On the way, I read through my IELTS prep books and didn't look out the window much, so was I ever surprised when I looked up as the bus approached NAIT and saw that there was NO SNOW in Edmonton! Not a bit. I was sorry I hadn't braved Highway 16A and done my usual park-and-ride. Oh well, at least the bus trip both ways was fast and not crowded.

On Tuesday I took the River Valley trail after work and was disappointed to find the same old skating rink down below the museum. I just can't believe the city doesn't do anything about that. First, it's on a trail that is supposed to be maintained in winter; second, it is well used by cyclists, dog walkers, runners and other pedestrians, and finally, it is downright dangerous. I wonder whether someone falling and hitting their head would serve as a wake-up call? Unfortunately, I'm not willing to test it out.

I didn't ride there on Thursday, but maybe I'll try again next week and snap a couple of photos to send to the city. It's hard to get motivated to ride that route when I know what awaits me!

No comments: