Friday, February 7, 2014

-35 C ...

...that was this morning's wind chill.

Again I parked a mere 5 km from my destination and was I ever glad I didn't have to ride those extra 2.5 km. This was the first day my face felt really cold. I was OK until I was almost at work, when suddenly I began to fear losing my nose. As noses go, it's nothing special, but it's the only one I've got! 

Backing up a little, I had just finished loading my panniers and bundling up and was about to start riding across the pedestrian bridge to 102 Avenue, when I saw another cyclist coming up out of the ravine. At first I couldn't tell if it was a man or a woman, but I approached and said good morning. Turns out it was a woman, and  from her name, one that was popular when I was in school, I'm guessing she is close to my age. I was glad to have a chance to ask about the ravine/river valley trail. She reported that it is in pretty good shape, so I filed that away in my mind, thinking I'd try it next week. Today I rode downtown on 102 and 100 Avenues, as that way is a little shorter. And as I said, today I was more than glad I'd chosen the shorter ride. 

I caught up with another cyclist at the 116 Street intersection. It's always good to see that I am not the only crazy riding in these frigid temps.

After work, it was sunny and felt so balmy that I decided to try the river valley trail. I rode down Fortway, past the Victoria Golf Course and up to Crestwood. Saw another cyclist heading down as I was on the uphill stretch. The trail was indeed in good shape, snow pack all the way, and it was a nice ride. I was afraid that maybe I was out of shape for the hill, after several weeks of riding the much flatter route, but I did fine and I look forward to riding there some more next week.

No comments: