Friday, January 17, 2014

Speedster

Yesterday's ride back to the car was fast and fun, on clear roads and trail.

I'd almost forgotten what it's like to pedal hard and fast, with no worries about ice or slush or mounds of snow. After work, I took the Railtown Trail and 102 Avenue, and it was the winter ride of my dreams. The temperature was about +3, there was only a little wind, and traffic was light and friendly. The 100 Avenue shared pathway I ride for the last couple of kilometers was kind of icy, but that couldn't dampen my spirits.

With the mild temperatures this week, I have been wearing my new-to-me jacket -- from Banana Republic via the thrift shop. It's a cotton-polyester smooth-coated outer layer with polyester lining and a big fur collar. Mud spatters simply wipe off. The length is perfect for cycling and it is comfortable, provides just the right amount of warmth and, with its nipped-in waist, it looks stylish. [I'm afraid that yesterday I even garnered a few wolf whistles from passing vehicles as I waited at red lights. It was that kind of day; guys are obviously getting spring fever.] The jacket also has lots of pockets with snaps and zippers -- gotta love that. I think I paid about $15 for it so, as Paddington would say, it was very good value indeed.

I love shopping for cycling clothing at thrift shops for a few reasons. First and most obviously, the price. Secondly, it allows me to try various styles and determine what works and what doesn't. If something doesn't work out, it's only a few dollars down the tubes. And finally, if something gets irreparably stained or damaged, it is no great loss.

On a sadder note, I also wore my MEC Adanac tights and ripped a tiny hole in one of the legs -- it got caught in the chain as I made a hasty dismount for an unanticipated slush pile. Sigh... the hidden costs of winter commuting. [It's still worth it, though.] 

No comments: