Wednesday, January 15, 2014

even when it's bad, it's good

I now know what it's like to be swept sideways by the wind into a snowbank! 

With winds up to 70 km/hour, today's bicycle commute was... um... interesting. For the first two kilometers I had a tailwind and felt myself pushed along a somewhat icy shared pathway. Scary stuff. If I were more like James Bond, I guess I would have just let the wind take me where it would, but being who I am, I used my brakes a lot.

The shared sidewalks over the 102 Avenue bridges are in pathetic condition -- icy and slushy and downright nasty. At least on a bike I didn't have to stick my feet into the mushy stuff, but I felt sorry for the pedestrians I saw picking their way across.

As I turned onto the 121 Street/100 Avenue bike lane, I thought things looked pretty good, but when I rounded the bend, the wind caught me, sweeping me right into the snowbank. Surprise! It took awhile to regain my composure, but after that it was fine. I was ready for anything! 

At lunch time I went out for a short walk and again was almost blown away; for the first time in my life I actually held onto a pole while I waited for the light to change! 

To my happy surprise, after work the roads were in great shape, even sort of dry, thanks to the powerful wind, and it was a fun, although sometimes difficult, ride against the wind back to the car.

I think some of the people at work are now completely convinced that I am a total looney, as evidenced by the looks on their faces when they saw that I'd ridden my bike today. But that's OK. 

There's a profound bit of truth that they don't know: 
when it comes to a bike ride, 
even when it's bad, it's good!

No comments: