Monday, January 27, 2014

a dark and nippy morning

It was a dark and stormy night nippy morning. Minus 18; windchill -24. On the way into the city, I was treated to the sight of Venus and the crescent moon hanging low in the coal-black eastern sky. When I told my students about it, one guy asked if I had caused an accident. Fortunately not. I did try to take a photo once I reached my parking place, but it was not a huge success. Maybe tomorrow I can get the camera settings ready ahead of time, before I have to stand outside in the cold.
After bundling up, I started riding, but didn't get more than a few hundred meters before I had to stop to re-tie my scarf. When I did so, my glasses fogged up so badly I couldn't see a thing. I took them off and tried to use my mitt to wipe them, but succeeded only in dislodging one lens.

My attempt to reinsert the lens was, as Bertie Wooster would say, bootless, and I was getting mighty cold, so I simply stuffed the glasses and lens into my pocket and kept riding. It took awhile for my eyes to adjust to being without their corrective lenses, and during this adjustment period, I discovered that someone had kindly left a shopping cart on the path. Yikes! Good thing I saw it in time to swerve. And good thing the city of Edmonton had responded to my 311 email and sanded down the icy pathway. Too bad they stopped at 154 Street. Up to this point, I was sailing happily along, thinking good thoughts about the hard-working crew who had spent the weekend improving trail conditions for people like me. After 154 Street, however, there was no time for thoughts of any kind; all my attention was given to watching the road and keeping my balance. I passed another cyclist along this stretch, one who I doubt pays any property tax, but I bade him good morning and wished him a safe journey.

After the 148 Street bridge all was well, my eyes had adjusted to their glassesless state, and I made good time the rest of the way, on clear streets and the Railtown trail. By the time I reached 109 Street, my feet were getting cold and I was glad to be nearing my destination. But all in all it was a good ride. I felt I had conquered not only the elements, but also an enemy in the form of an unprecedented visual impairment. 

Upon arriving at work, I saw that I had an email from the Ward 1 City Councillor, in response to my 311 request. He mentioned that the sanders had been out on the weekend and asked me to report back on the trail conditions. He also explained the city's policy with regard to the 95th Avenue bike lane. I was quite impressed with his diligence. He'd get my vote if I could vote for him.

I wore my pink L.L. Bean riding coat for the first time. I've had it for a couple of months now, but I was sort of afraid to wear it, as I felt like it made me too conspicuous. I was all set to send it back. But last week one of my students drove past me as I was cycling on 102 Avenue, and she said she thought I should wear brighter colours. Well, that was why I'd bought the pink coat, so I decided that I should give it a try. To my surprise I got several compliments on it -- and I definitely felt more visible when riding on the city streets. So, I guess it's a keeper.
will this tree still be here tomorrow?
Heading back to the car after work, I made sure to note 1) the exact location of the fallen tree, as requested by the 311 call centre lady, and 2) the section of path that was still icy, as requested by the City Councillor. As soon as I got home, I sent emails with the information. And things are looking good: when we drove downtown at 6:00 to meet Oldest Son and his girlfriend for dinner, we spotted the sanding truck driving along the pathway, in the exact area where sanding was still needed. I anticipate a good ride on the morrow!
Ice on shared pathway, waiting for the sander




No comments: