Friday, May 31, 2013

n + 1

I've never thought of myself as an "n+1" type of person. You know, where the ideal number of a possession is the number you already have, or n, plus one.

I'm generally an advocate of simple living, being content with what one has, keeping possessions to a minimum. Cashmere sweaters aside, of course.

And,as it turns out, bicycles.

Until recently, I'd always had just one bike. An all-purpose bike for running errands and going for family bike rides. Why would I need more than one?

Ah, yes, but in those days I didn't ride my bike to work. When I started bicycle commuting almost three years ago, I needed a commuter bike. Something fast and efficient and capable of handling heavy loads. This is how Miranda came to be part of my life. She served me well for commuting until I got the urge to ride in winter, too. Then I needed a winter commuter bike, one that could handle the abuse heaped on it by the elements. I didn't actually buy a new bike for this purpose, just recruited and adapted one we had on hand -- one that had been rejected by all the other family members.

Then last fall, I started road riding -- longer distances on the country roads around town. Miranda was OK for that purpose, but I soon felt the need for something a little sleeker and faster. Hence, my flat bar road bike purchase.

Three bikes. I should be satisfied, right? Um, no. I also like to use a bike around town for shopping, going to the library, riding to friends' houses and my son's school, stuff like that. I was using Miranda for this purpose, but there were a couple of problems:
  • because of the frame style, I can't wear a skirt while riding Miranda. In summer I often wear skirts and it's a pain to have to change clothes just to ride a few blocks. A step-through frame would eliminate that need.
  • because I ride Miranda in a more forward-leaning posture, many of my everyday tops are unsuitable to wear while riding her. As I lean forward, the top of my shirt often gapes, allowing passers-by to see more than I want them to see. Also, many shirts ride up at the back, leaving a bare expanse of skin. Not a pretty sight. A more upright style bike would be ideal
  • finally, I wanted to equip the bike with panniers and a basket and -- in a few months -- a child seat for Little Granddaughter. I wanted to be able to leave everything on the bike most of the time.
In short, a fourth bike -- a girly-style bike, or if you will, a Grandma bike, was beckoning. I had my eye on a Brodie, but I simply couldn't justify the expense, especially considering I have a future fifth bike in mind as well.

So, back to the Grandma bike. Last Saturday morning we went garage saling. We needed a dresser for Teenage Son's room and found a beautiful vintage, even antique-ish, solid wood specimen for only $20. He was pleased.

Then we went on to find a bike for me. At this sale, $50.00 got me a step-through bike AND a sterling silver and pearl necklace.Not bad!

Bonnie Blue with Basil panniers and MEC rack pack

In the afternoon, I equipped the bike, hereafter known as Bonnie Blue, with panniers and rackpack, and donned my helmet to ride first to the library and then on to Safeway for some groceries. I wouldn't want to use this bike to ride up and down the hills on the country roads north of town, but for getting around town in style, it seems perfect.

One problem, however. I wore regular clothing: jeans and a slim-fitting, though very modest, navy blue T-shirt. I couldn't believe the ogling and honks I endured. I was the only woman cycling around town, and I guess our sleepy prairie city is not ready for women dressed like women riding bikes. Maybe I'll start a trend.

No comments: