Friday, May 31, 2013

Computer-assisted ride #2

I was less distracted this time, but I still found my eyes straying downward to check my cadence, or my current speed, or my total distance, or my average speed. So focused was I on maintaining a good speed and cadence that I didn't stop to take photos. But since I know for sure that I am riding acceptably fast and am keeping my pedals spinning frequently enough, from now on I will be able to relax and enjoy the view, stopping to take photos when I feel like it. After all, that's what makes my country bike rides so special. 
As the corny-but-true old song puts it: "You gotta stop and smell the roses..."

It was a gorgeous morning. After a week of rain, everything looked so green and lush. 

I set out at 9:00 a.m. and rode for more than 2 hours, covering almost 60 K. The wind was at my back on the big downhill and I saw the speed reach 53.8 km/hr. I wasn't even scared and didn't feel the need to brake; it was actually kind of fun.

The temp was about 15 C -- 
just right for a short-sleeved jersey and my bespoke arm warmers

Today I was truly the solitary cyclist-- I saw no other riders until I got back to town. And there at the first intersection I saw two guys heading north. I'm afraid I laughed a bit when I saw them: they reminded me of Tweedledum and Tweedledee. Identical bikes. Identical name-brand (in large letters) kit. I know, I shouldn't laugh. Maybe they are part of a team of highly respected professional riders, with many wins under their belts. 
If so, I apologize for laughing.

 

No comments: