Sunday, May 26, 2013

distracted riding

My sons gave me a bike computer for Mother's Day. I was thrilled, but felt a bit overwhelmed when I read the installation instructions.

In the evening on Victoria Day, Hubby very kindly attached it to my bike, but all this past week the weather was lousy, and we were busy with an ESO (symphony) concert, Teenage Son's school band concert, and other stuff, so I didn't get to put it to the test until today.

Talk about distracted riding! Speed, cadence, distance, you name it... it's all there, begging me to keep my eyes cast downward. I almost forgot to look around me and enjoy the fact that I was riding through some very beautiful country on a very beautiful day. 

I came to my senses as I crested the hill that is home to my favourite pond, and tuned in to my surroundings in time to see a muskrat gliding along on top of the water. The red wing blackbirds were out in force, too, as noisy as ever.

Shortly after this I spied a pair of riders on drop-bar bikes a couple hundred meters ahead of me. I was rapidly gaining on them, which is always an awkward feeling, but as I got closer I saw that the hair peeking out from the woman rider's helmet was completely grey. Hmm, I thought, older people. Nevertheless, when it came time to pass, I almost fell off my bike when I saw that they were not just 60 or 70, but possibly close to 80! I was impressed. I sure hope I can still ride like that when I am their age.

 On my way back into town, I saw a red-tailed hawk perched on the fence beside the road. As I rode towards him, I expected him to fly away, but he stayed there in a photo-perfect pose. I took the bait and stopped (remembering to clip out!) but just as I began to open my bag to take out my camera, he took off, leaving me standing there staring after him. Someday...

I rode about 60 km and kept my speed and cadence at fairly respectable levels. I started out wearing my Under Armour allweather base layer, topped by a long-sleeve lightweight jersey and my Sugoi convertible jacket. After only a few kilometers, I stopped to remove the sleeves of my jacket, and then I was perfectly comfortable for the rest of the ride. When I left our indoor/outdoor thermometer said 12 C. The wind was from the southeast -- not too strong, but enough to keep me pedaling on the downhill stretches. The highest speed I reached going downhill was 45 km/hour.

No comments: