Monday, May 12, 2014

and suddenly, spring is here!

 

Last Thursday I parked in Callingwood and rode through Wolf Willow and Rio Terrace, then north on 142 to the river valley entrance. It was a fantastic day for a ride, and I was so glad to have the chance to ride 14.5 km instead of only 9K. 
On the way back to the car, I had to stop to take a photo of the crocuses (above) and the daffodils -- definite indications that spring is here at last!

  
And of course, I couldn't neglect the spring lambs!

It was the last day of class for this session, and I ended up with rather loaded panniers: some food, chocolates, a frying pan (used to cook crepes at lunchtime), my morning jacket and mittens (it was about 0C at 7:30 a.m. and 18C after work) along with my usual bag of books. 
Also a cutting from a house plant...
The bike was heavy. As I rode up out of the river valley, I could feel the pull of the extra weight and was actually afraid the bike might flip over backwards. 
I cannot tell a lie -- I walked the last bit. Wouldn't you know it, not one, not even two, but three guys came along as I was labouring up the hill -- even dragging the bike was not easy. I made it though, and the rest of the trip was easy, even with all that extra weight.

No comments: