Saturday, March 29, 2014

another week, another snowfall

Monday and Tuesday were good riding days. On Monday I even decided to ride to work through the River Valley and check out the situation there. It was quite icy, but I was pleasantly surprised at the bottom of the ravine, right below the museum, to see a detour sign, and a detour -- of sorts. Looks like someone decided to create a makeshift path on higher ground, skirting the ice rink that lurks all winter. It did the trick, although I don't think it's what is normally meant when the trail maps say "maintained in winter." I rode up the Victoria Parkway hill and then along 100 Avenue. 

It was a nice change, but I've decided that it's not really worth it to ride there at this time of year, unless I'm in the mood for the scenery and a change of pace. The surface of the pathway is too unpredictable for my liking, and if anything happens there, it could be a long, slippery walk to civilization/ So for now, I'll stick to the roads.

On my way back to the car both days, I rode in the 95th Avenue bike lanes. They are sort of clear -- if you don't count piles of gravel -- and I want people to see that the lanes are being used. I will use them every day that it is reasonable. I'd use them five times a day if it fit into my schedule.

On Wednesday it snowed -- maybe 10-12 cm. I took the bus and was thankful! I did see a couple of cyclists downtown and felt that usual bit of envy, but I knew I'd made the right choice.

On Thursday it was back to the bike. Wow -- that was quite a ride. The shared sidewalk on 100 Avenue between 165 St. and 149 St. was hopeless. I couldn't ride because the snow was so deep. After walking my bike about 50 meters, I decided to head on over to Stony Plain Road (dragging the bike through the snow on the road) and ride in the bus/bike/taxi lane. That went well, and after 142 Street I rode in the service road, which was surprisingly navigable. Then it was sidewalks all the way to Jasper. At Jasper I thought I'd try the bus/bike/taxi lane since that had worked so well before. Big mistake. There was so much slush, in big ruts, mixed with gravel and who knows what else, I was afraid I was going to go over sideways. So at 116 Street I made my way (shamefully riding on the sidewalk on the wrong side of the street and not even caring) to 100 Avenue. There I rode in the traffic lane, since the traffic moves slowly and there are lots of stops and starts (crosswalks, turning vehicles, etc.) Whew, was I glad to see my destination! The ride home was great -- roads were clear. I did avoid the shared sidewalk, however, and took Stony Plain Road all the way to the cemetery, where I can use the crosswalk and ride through a parking lot right to my car.

Today I rode to the library and Safeway. For a warm day (around 0 C) it was kind of cold -- there was a brisk northwest wind, and it was snowing with small hard flakes. It was also alternately slushy and icy -- all in all, not the best day for a bike ride. But it was still nice to get out, enjoy the fresh air and get a bit of exercise.

At Safeway as I was loading my panniers, an older man came to talk to me. After pontificating on the advantages of cycling (you don't pay for gas, you get exercise, etc.) he told me all about his younger days riding a  bike. He was kind of hard to understand (maybe bad fitting dentures?) but I think he said he used to put chains on his bike tires in the winter. Then he said something about trying to get Dragon's Den to take him up on the idea. I didn't have the heart to tell him about studded tires. I was so distracted by his chatter that I almost forgot to unlock my bike and had to open up my pannier again to get the key. He wasn't even young and good looking!

I also finished my ACE Teaching Test Prep course and submitted my final assignment, so that feels good. My weekends are my own again. (Oh, wait -- now I have to do taxes for several family members!)

I picked up my fair-weather commuter bike, with its shiny new drive train, from the bike shop on Tuesday, but I haven't ridden it yet -- I want to keep it nice and clean so I'll wait till the snow is mostly gone.

No comments: