Sunday, September 22, 2013

foiled again!

Hubby and I had to go into the city to show some prospective tenants our rental house. I wanted to put on a few more cycling kilometers, so I said I'd ride in and meet him at the house, down near Southgate Mall. 

I got about halfway -- 16 km, as far as the Winterburn exit -- before I got a flat tire, my first since the spring. The culprit seemed to be a miniscule piece of glass. If I'd had a pump with me, I think I could have inflated the tire enough to keep going, as the air was leaking slowly, but I didn't have anything. So I called Hubby and he left a few minutes early (he was going to leave soon anyway) and picked me up. While I waited for him, I took off the wheel and removed the tube. I was pretty disappointed that I couldn't finish my ride. Oh well...

In the evening I inserted a new tube. I know how to do this now, but I can't say it's easy. I've done it about four or five times (different bikes) and I even taught Son #5 how to do it, but it's always a long time in between, so each time I sort of have to learn all over again. Also, I've concluded that bicycle hand pumps are my nemesis. I have a new one that came with my road bike, and last night I more or less figured out how to use that, so maybe it will be easier from here on. After I (with Hubby's help) put the wheel back on the bike, the brakes weren't working properly. I had to try to remember all I'd learned about brakes when I changed the brake pads a few weeks ago. I found the problem and tightened the screw, and all is good.

No comments: