Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Canada Day and Canola fields

 
Did the canola start blooming overnight? For sure since Friday, when I last rode past here.  Today has been an amazing day: 25 degrees and a hot, hot sun overhead. I went for a fantastic 54 km bike ride.

It was a bit windy, blowing from the northwest, so that when I rode east toward the seniors' home, I found it easy to hit 42 km/hour.

Riding west, I had to fight to top 30.  But I always say I'd rather have the wind against me when I am riding uphill, and when you ride west on Airport Road, uphill is the name of the game. I did NOT hit 30 on the uphill portion!
one of the hills on Roller Coaster Road
After riding north, uphill and against the wind, to the top of Roller Coaster Road, I turned around and took full advantage of the tailwind on my downward journey, hitting my highest speed yet since I changed the battery in my computer -- 50 km/hour.

I saw a guy on a motorcycle who was apparently doing the same thing I was -- riding to the top and then down again. I'm sure I had a lot more fun. And he was wearing a big bulky jacket, boots, long pants, the whole nine yards. Meanwhile I, in my bike shorts and sleeveless jersey, was happily manufacturing Vitamin D, getting a good workout and relishing the sun's warm touch on my shoulders.

For the first time since I started riding this series of hills, I noticed that one of the acreage subdivisions is actually called "Rolling Hills." I guess "Roller Coaster" wouldn't be the most restful moniker for the place you call home.
the final climb to the top of Roller Coaster Road
After reaching the stop sign at the bottom, I decided to continue south on the same road, instead of heading over to Campsite. It's quite a different ride. Instead of the two big downhill stretches, there are a few up-and-down stretches. Obviously the overall trend is down, but it's not as dramatic as on Campsite. It's pretty, though, and there is a lot less traffic than on most of the other roads.

I was actually surprised at how much traffic there was, for late morning on a holiday.

All the people who optimistically bought convertibles, despite the derision of their Negative Nancy family members and friends, were out and about, clearly happy for weather that justifies their purchase.

I even saw a Lotus eating up the kilometers, at a surprisingly moderate speed.

I also saw a lot of other cyclists -- almost all solo riders, and quite a few women. I saw one couple on mountain bikes, the man dressed in cycling bibs with no shirt. Not a cool way to keep cool.

No wildlife today. Hubby told me that on days like this, wild animals usually come out in the early morning or evening. Maybe I will have to change my habits and become less of a sun-seeker.
And here again are some shots from the highest point on my ride. Now, really, would you rather be in a truck, on a motorcycle, or on a bike? I know my answer!

No comments: