Wednesday, December 18, 2013

slippin' and slidin'


That about sums up my bike ride today. 


Knowing that the forecast was for above-zero temperatures, I braved the icy roads this morning (Tuesday) and drove to my Park-and-Ride spot. There were some seriously icy patches on 16A but I stayed in the slow lane and it was okay. 
I passed this guy as I rode to work, both of us trying to keep our balance on the icy path

My bike ride was another story. Ice and more ice on shared pathways and sidewalks. I walked my bike more than once. I tried riding on the road a couple of times, but the thick slippery slush drove me back onto the sidewalk. 

To think I used to scorn people who ride their bikes on sidewalks! 

I did ride in the street at 121 Street/100 Avenue where there used to be a contra-flow bike lane, once upon a time, before the snow covered it up. That stretch wasn't too bad, but I had to ride out in the vehicle lane most of the time.

Funny thing is, no matter how bad the ice and snow, I still prefer riding my bike to driving. Of course, I would be thrilled if the city finally got their act together and got serious about winter road and trail maintenance, but even with things as they are, a person can have a pretty good start to their day riding a bike to work. What's to complain about in a world like that?

No comments: