Sunday, December 15, 2013

how to start your day right

What about am icy bike ride?

Last night -- freezing rain. Today -- icy paths and sidewalks. 

Strangely enough, except for a constant sound like machine guns softly popping, it was a great ride on the trails. I left at 8:45 and rode to church -- almost 5K. The first part, downhill through a playground on a path of sheer ice, was pretty sketchy, but after that the roads and trails were in good shape for cycling. I didn't go very fast -- my average speed, including occasional walking, was just over 11 km/hour, but I'll betcha anything I enjoyed myself more than the people who went by car.

By the time I rode home at 10:30 or so, there was a balmy breeze and the temp was well above zero. 

I cannot tell a lie, I did wipe out once. The trail was so good that I felt overconfident and started riding a little fast for trail conditions -- especially since the trail twists and winds its way through the woods. As I rounded a bend at breakneck speed, my back tire slid out from under me and I ended up on the ground. No worries, though. No one saw me and I popped right back up and kept going. I did ride a little more cautiously after that. 

No comments: