Sunday, August 11, 2013

sunny sunday

This morning I rode just over 60 km on the country roads north of town: Roller Coaster Road, Airport Road, Sec. 779 and North Hill Road. I rode hard, especially on the climbs, and was rewarded by seeing the average speed on my bike computer increase by another decimal point. It is now at 25.3. This may not sound especially fast, but I am pleased with this for a few reasons: 1) it was at 23.8 after my first couple of rides; 2) this includes a lot of hill-climbing; 3) this includes some very windy days (40 km/hour winds); 4) this includes my pre-ride warm-up rides and stops or slow-downs at stop signs and traffic lights; and 5) my high speed has not increased since the second time I rode with the computer -- it has stayed at 53.6 this whole time -- which means that my low speed must be increasing. So, all in all, it makes me feel pretty good.

As I rode east on Airport Road, I watched these geese come in for a landing. The pond they chose was pretty scummy and didn't look very inviting to me, but somehow their choosing it infused it with a certain beauty. They looked so elegant and graceful as they swept down to join the babies.




 And these two appeared to be sentinels, perched on the hill, watching for danger.

At my turn-around point, at the seniors' home, I met a guy on a time trial bike. He'd stopped to make adjustments after having lent the bike out to various people, and told me that he was getting ready for a championship race this coming weekend.

It was a beautiful morning -- sunny, around 25 C (although the humidex made it about 28 degrees) and just a little wind from the east. 

No comments: