Friday, November 8, 2013

dressed for winter

Miranda, my GT Tempest, is now dressed for winter. Front and back fenders, new hand grips, a nifty back rack with a spring loaded holder, rear and front lights and fat, knobby 'Table Top' tires. 

This afternoon (Thursday) I picked her up from the bike shop and rode her home, and I was pleased. No problems at all on bumpy ice, smoother ice, mud, 3-cm deep snow. Bare pavement was fine, too. I even rode up the small, steep, snow-and-ice-covered hill that leads out of the woods into our neighbourhood. I tried this yesterday on Youngest Son's bike and ended up walking, but Miranda sailed on up. (Of course, I'm sure it helps that the bike fits me properly, unlike YS's bike.) 

Bike Shop Guy was also pretty pleased with what they had done. "That's a sweet old bike," were his words. He added that the old GT bikes were really good quality, unlike the newer ones.

He also thinks it's great that I have so many "cool" bikes. By cool, he must mean older, plain, inexpensive, serviceable bikes.

I am a bit shy, or I would have told him that I think of myself as The People's Cyclist. An ordinary person who rides as much as she can and encourages others to do likewise.

Cycling, in my opinion, should be accessible to everyone. It should be done where you are, with what you have. No need to spend big bucks for the latest high-tech bike. No need for special clothing. No need to go to a special place to ride. Of course, all those things are fine (and I anticipate some day shelling out $3,000 for a Specialized Ruby road bike) but the main thing is -- Just Start Riding! 

It makes my day when someone  tells me that I inspired them to start cycling. Three of my students have caught the bug. One of my neighbours, whose husband frequently comments on my riding, started riding this summer. Son #4 has always loved to drive, but since I found an old Rocky Mountain hybrid bike at a thrift shop ($35) and fixed it up for him (new tube, $6 + new tire, free from our shed + a good scrubbing and lubing) he has been riding to work, even now that there's snow on the ground. All the result of an ordinary person riding her bike with extraordinary enthusiasm!

No comments: