Wednesday, October 23, 2013

sunrise

Riding into the sunrise -- what a way to begin the day! I had to stop to take some photos and as I was clicking, I promised myself I would take a closer look at my camera's manual settings so I can get some better-quality shots in future.

 It was a gorgeous morning, about 5 degrees, so not too cold; and for the first time in days, it wasn't windy. I was not the only cyclist enjoying the beautiful weather -- I counted at least 5 others, one on a recumbent bike, as I rode through the River Valley.
Yesterday as I was riding up the first small hill out of the valley, a guy whizzed by me on a Fat Bike. He came down from Groat, so he had lots of momentum, but even so, I was impressed -- and I confess, a little envious -- when I saw him motor past. I didn't know a Fat Bike could go so fast. And it looked like fun, too. Since I'm not willing to spend $1,800, however, I'll continue to have fun on my hybrid while the weather remains bonny, and then I'll make the most of my sturdy mountain bike once the snow covers the ground.
My ride back to the car was delightful, too. Again, the wind was almost non-existent, it was fairly warm, and the sun was peeking through the clouds. Instead of riding on the shared pathway all the way to 163 Street, I have been turning south on 153 Street, which is a marked on-street bike route. From there I normally turn east on 97 Avenue, but today I decided to ride down to 95 Avenue to try out the brand spanking new bike lanes. The pavement is fresh and the paint is fresher, so fresh that the bike images are not yet stenciled onto the road. I do love bike lanes! While I don't mind riding on a normal street, sharing a lane with cars, there is nothing like a designated lane to ride in. 

Thank you, City of Edmonton! 

When I arrived back at the car, my GPS told me I'd cycled 10 km. That made me happy. Not only that, but the clouds had all but disappeared and the sky was a bold clear blue. I took off my jacket and basked in the sun as I unloaded my bike.
After getting home, I hopped on Silver, my step-through bike, and rode over to the local bike shop to have the back rack re-installed. It had come loose one day last week when I rode on the rough and tough bike lane on 106 Street. I have never ridden slower than I did on my way over there -- the rack was so loose I could hear it jiggling around all the way. I even had to stop and pick up a piece that fell as I was riding. The guys at the shop are the best -- they put that rack on so well, it looks like it will be on there for the rest of my life.

No comments: